On the weekend of August 2nd, the biggest music festival in Canada takes place annually. This year’s festival has the best lineup of artists ever seen, and I cannot wait to go. Osheaga takes place in Parc-Jean Drapeau on Ile Ste-Hélène; an island in the middle of Montreal. Osheaga has five stages where the concerts take place; they are spread out across the Parc with pathways leading one stage to another in order for the audience to get to the concerts they want to see.
Osheaga started up in 2006, and quickly became a world-wide known music festival with audiences from across North America as well as Europe. Some of the biggest names in the music industry have played at Osheaga over the years including: The Killers, Eminem, and Coldplay. However, this festival also showcases smaller artists, which helps and supports them in breaking into the industry. Over the course of three days, 90 artists take the stages at the festival and an audience of over 10,000 people is expected to purchase weekend packages and attend the event. Every year, the artist names get bigger, the tickets sell faster, and the festival becomes more well-known across the world.
Although many great artists have taken to the stages of Osheaga, the 2013 lineup is one like no other. Social media has been going crazy over this year’s festival. Just to get a taste of what the festival will be offering this year, here is a list of the top ten headlining artists:
- The Cure – best known for their 80s hits, the band is making a comeback in today’s retro culture with some of their new songs.
- Mumford and Sons – they came into the industry with a bang a few years ago, their first song “Little Lion Man” was a huge hit that brought them to stardom.
- The Lumineers – not too well-known yet, but making their way up the charts with their catchy, folk songs they have a great following of devoted fans.
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – almost out of nowhere, Macklemore became a star over night with his dace/rap medleys that spread over social media like wildfire.
- Tegan and Sara – twin sisters– who are both proud to be gay– have a two man band that has been firing out pop/indie hits for years.
- Ellie Goulding — born and raised in the UK, her dance/pop songs made their way onto the North American airwaves and she instantly loved by all.
- Imagine Dragons – this all man band has music different from any other artist, with the use of electronic sounds, this slow dubstep band is the perfect party soundtrack.
- Two Door Cinema Club – around for many years, they have been under the radar lately, but their older indie-rock hits are still crowd pleasers.
- Azealia Banks – from humble beginnings in the UK, Azealia came into the rap industry with an offensive and vulgar hit song “212” that hit the top charts instantly.
- Icona Pop – this band of girls enjoy the music they make and create pop music for the fun of it and for their fans. Their hit “I Love It” is what got them really noticed.
This music festival allows music lovers from around the globe to interact with each other, meet new people, and have a great musical experience over the course of three days. It also allows artists to connect with their fans, get their names out there in the music world, and see how their music touches listeners.
The countdown is on.